Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I am moving to America in 2 months. Will you give me some advice?

We are moving to USA in 2 months. After we buy the ticket, we are left with $2000. We are going to stay with a family member until my husband finds a job. My university will start in January. I have full scholarship for my PhD from the university of Arkansas, so we will move to Fayetteville. My husband and my baby daughter of 15 months, are both American Citizens, so I got my Immigrant visa. Everything in London is so expensive, and with only him working and getting 拢1200 pcm, we couldn't save money at all after the birth of my child. I am freaking out and I think I am having anxiety attack. I don't know the American culture, English is not my first language, although I passed the GRE and TOEFL, we don't have enough money, I am just so worried.





Can you say something to calm me down?I am moving to America in 2 months. Will you give me some advice?
Dont worry, be excited that your going to get your phd, and later on find a excellent job w/ that. What is your major, well whatever your major is, once you do get a phd, you will sure find a good job. I lived in us all my life, and i love it. Its the best place for me, i go to college, work at ahealth care center..and its muchh cheaper than uk...


Just be happy and dont worry..im sure everything will be fine.I am moving to America in 2 months. Will you give me some advice?
Relax. Things might seem strange, unusual, or even difficult at first, but things will fall into place. People in Arkansas have always seemed very friendly and kind and helpful, whenever I have been there. The culture might be a little heavy on the religious side, if you like that, fine, but if not just sort of float along through it politely and noncommittally. There are a lot of beautiful mountains, rivers, and lakes in Arkansas. Open yourself to enjoying the natural beauty, I hope you have a good time.
I can tell you that America is not as expensive as London. You are moving to a smaller town so expenses shouldn't be that bad. Will you bith have jobs when you get here? Do you know that you can file for student loans and grants to get money for housing and odds and ends through the college? You should do some online research to find out what kind of loans you can get. Good luck, and I'm sure you will do just fine :)
Your money is worth twice as much here! If you have family you are living with, you will be fine, your family can do fine on what is essentially $2400 per month if you are living with family. Stop worrying, Arkansas isn't nearly as expensive as London. You will be having lots of fun meeting rednecks.
Since you're moving to the US for school, take advantage of the resources the University has to offer. I don't know about the University of Arkansas specifically, but most schools have programs that are designed specifically to help international students adjust to life in the US. Also, don't be afraid to ask other international students or students in your department for help-they were all new at one point and most will be glad to help you. There are typically places around the university that offer discounts for students, which can help you save money. I've gotten discounts on car repairs, haircuts, phone bills, and more just by using my university ID.

No comments:

Post a Comment