Sunday, December 27, 2009

Advice on flights to america.?

am looking at taking the flight that goes from heathrown to los angeles via detroit.changing planes will save us 拢150. or in your opinion is it safer to pay more for a direct flight? how likely is it to not run smoothly and we get stuck in detroit. though as both flights come together. the company would have to sort it wouldnt they??Advice on flights to america.?
Sarah, I wouldn't connect unless it was significantly cheaper to me. There are nonstop flights from London to LAX.





Ooh, I see the price you must be looking at. Yes, Northwest for 300 quid return--which is brilliant for early summer. American and United, nonstop flights, for about 50 quid more; BA, AF, AirNZ, and Virgin (also nonstops) are more expensive currently.





If it were me, I'd probably only choose Northwest/KLM via Detroit in this case IF I were trying to collect miles with them. Othwerwise, I think I'd spend 50 squids more and get nonstop, saving lots of time and hassles.Advice on flights to america.?
I would not worry about the transfer in Detroit. Most connections run without any complications. I have transfers in the US many many times, and I have only run in to a delay that made me not make my next flight one time. As to your second question: As long as you have booked your ticket from Heathrow to Los Angeles, and you where given this connection, you are OK. There are a minimum time connection required for domestic airports in USA. But if your connection came up as a suggestion to your travel from Heathrow to LAX, than again it is pre approved within the requested connection time. And when that is the case, the airlines are responsible for putting you on the next flight to your final destination. Weather that is a different airline or not. If it requires overnight they will put you up in a hotel, with food vouchers. But most likely you will not encounter any of these problems.
You will be ok to fly any time but winter. During the cold months, there's always the possibility of heavy snow in the Detroit area which will cancel or delay the flights. The chance of getting stuck in Detroit are very slim, both Detroit and LA are very large cities with a lot of flights between them.





The only inconvenient is the extra time it will take to get to LA because of the connection.
Problems don't occur real frequently. I'd take the risk to save the money. The only time I've ever had a flight issue (and granted I don't fly a lot) was this past December. Our flight from Barcelona was delayed and we missed our connection in Paris.





Call me NOT a fan of Air France.

No comments:

Post a Comment