Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I want to drive to South America. Advice?

I've lived in Central America, but I flew there. This time I want to go to South America and I want to drive my motorhome and I will be bringing a motorcycle on the tailgate of my Motorhome. I know there are certain weird things that go down when crossing borders and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. And, if you are knowledgeable on the subject and want to share email addresses, please contact me. One user ';Estrato Seis'; seems quite knowledgeable, but he does not have his account set so I can contact him.





Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.I want to drive to South America. Advice?
Your biggest obstacle is going to be the Darien Gap, in Panama. There are no roads through the gap, and it is against the law to operate a motor-vehicle through there (not that you'd have any hope of getting a motorhome through there if it was legal).





When a friend of mine drove, he hooked up with a container ship in Panama, and put his truck on it, which he then picked up along the Ecuador or Peru coast a week or so later (he flew and took a bus to meet it). So you're going to need to figure out the Darien Gap before you worry about any of the other relatively normal borders.

No comments:

Post a Comment