Thursday, December 31, 2009

Moving to America from England.. Advice ?

Hi





I'm in my last year of University in England.


I'm going to graduate in June with a degree in Economics and i'll be 21.





I'm want to go to australia first for a couple of months but around January I want to move to America for abou 2 years.





What i'd like to know is what are the proceedurs for getting employment? I have a years work experiance for the UK government statistics office but in order to get a job do I need a working Visa? How would I get one and how would i go about getting a job from England?





Lastly, how much money would you suggest I have saved up.. I was thinking about 3,000 pounds (5-6,000 Dollers) would be enough to keep me going in rent/food for 3 months and pay for flights.





Anyone who has done this or something similiars opionion would be very much appriciated..





JamesMoving to America from England.. Advice ?
Advice ! go as quick as you can.Moving to America from England.. Advice ?
Go into the library and get a book on it. That's what I did and it was really helpful.
dont leeeeave us
Yes, you need a work visa of sorts to work here, although I'm sure you could find work under the table if you looked in the right places. The cost of living will depend on where you want to live. In New York, that much money will barely cover the three months, but you could do it. Similar story in Boston and San Francisco. Philadelphia, Washington DC, Chicago, etc. are more affordable. Living outside of the major cities and commuting in is always cheaper as well. Finding a job from England will be difficult and will depend on your experience. The job market for young job seekers is at its worse in over thirty years. This really is not the best time to be trying to find a job in the US. I'm in London these days and while things have gotten bad here, they are not as bad as they are in the US (relatively. the UK has higher unemployment overall, but the US job market is shrinking faster).





The US is a great place and this is an exciting time to be there. The pound will go a long way but spend wisely. 6,000 dollars should be enough for you to live and have fun, just be careful if you want to live in New York, like I said.
Hello James,


I am actually British and moved to the USA approximately five years ago. If you can enter the US with legal status, there are thousands of opportunities here.


I live 60 miles west of Washington DC. When I first arrived, I had no friends, no family, and no contacts.


America,or this part of the country is fanatstic. Here is a rough breakdown of what it would cost you to live here per week.


Apartment $200 food about $60 if you ate in every day, but to be honest, eating out is a good way forward, I will explain why in a minute.


Utilities are about the same as England, I.E. gas electric etc. Some apartments you can rent all inclusive, and would expect to pay about $250 per week, or if you decide to share a house then your weekly rent would be about $120 per week.


Unlike England, most properties for rent are unfurnished, but will contain a fridge, oven,washer and dryer. Most properties will have a built in closet, so you do not need to purchase a wardrobe.





When I arrived here, it was in the winter and snow was on the ground, I purchased a snow shovel for $20 I then went round the neighborhood clearing peoples drives, in a few short hours I had earned over $500


not a bad investment from something as simple.By the time spring arrived I had made a few contacts, and had now purchased a pressure washer, I was power washing and staining decks, and can earn over $500 per day. I can not give you any real advice on how to obtain a visa. Perhaps they may do a foreign exchange, I do not know. Or maybe if you could secure a job and got sponsership.





Some of my friends who arrived here without visas worked for the Irainian embassy, they will employ people without any problems, and because their building is exempt from American juristiction, many have managed to obtain visas in the meantime.





I am not suggesting that you come here illegally, but many do, and have a fantastic life style. America is a huge country, and most things are very spread out, if you lived outside of a large town or city, you would need transportation. There are no trains, or bus service outside of the towns. I mentioned earlier about eating out, two reasons why it's good, the food is cheap, a large decent meal will cost about $12/$15


When you eat out it will give you the chance to meet people and enquire about many things, like work, jobs etc. Americans on the whole are busy people, and will pay for all kinds of service the English do not. Clearing snow from the drive, garden work, washing decks, painting etc etc, the list is endless. If you want to work, you can earn a lot of money in this country. I am a contractor by trade, and had to start somewhere, I do not like the snow, but I can earn $100 per hour each time it snows. These days I use a pick up truck with a snow plow.





Okay a flight from the UK, return would set you back around $1000 or about 400 pounds If you plan on coming here for two years, you will not need to purchase a return flight. Flights from here to the UK are much cheaper, than UK to here.


Generally speaking, everything here is about 50% less than the price of England, clothes, electrical items, shoes, cars,home furnishings,tools,petrol is about 90 pence a gallon now. The wages are higer than England, and it's easy to have a good standard of living and still save money.


PS if you get here legally, I can find you work, if you come to this area





I hope this information shall be of benefit to you, and hope you make it here, it's still the land of opportunity, and as an outsider, you will instantly see the prospects and take full advantage.





Paul M









No comments:

Post a Comment