Sunday, December 27, 2009

Does anyone (fellow backpackers esp! ) have advice on vacines for Central America esp rabies is it neccessary?

Get them all. Bettter safe than dead.Does anyone (fellow backpackers esp! ) have advice on vacines for Central America esp rabies is it neccessary?
# 2's answer is good but most people don't get any .... especially not for rabiesDoes anyone (fellow backpackers esp! ) have advice on vacines for Central America esp rabies is it neccessary?
i think you can get very good information if you go on travel websites such as lonely planet. Also you have to remember that the vaccines can vary from one country to another and depending on the season.
I just got back from Nicaragua and got the shots that the State Department suggested;





* Hepititus A


* Typhoid





My son also took Malaria pills.





The water is pretty much undrinkable. I was very careful about not drinking water, but still got a mild case of dysentery. (no biggy, just a couple days of diarrhea, but it was manageable). Cooked food is fine. If you're camping, then I imagine you'd need water purification tablets.





You'll love it. Nicaragua was beautiful, tropical forest. I don't think it was full on rain forest, but it was very lush. After a week there, I didn't get bitten by a single mosquito, which I found very surprising (I was on the west coast, 15 miles from the Pacific). But there were all sorts of other strange critters, including a scorpion that I found on someones bed one morning and moths the size of bats.





Enjoy your trip and stay safe. Represent us Yanks well while you're down there!
You would only need to get a rabies shot if you get a bitten by an animal that's got the disease, so I don't think you should worry about that...

No comments:

Post a Comment