Thursday, December 31, 2009

Can anyone give me backpack size advice for central and south america?

im going through central america (cancun to panama city) and the top half of south america (venezuela, colombia, peru, bolivia) over a 3 month period with my girlfriend and im not sure what size packpacks we will need. any advice would be much appreciated.





we will be staying in hostels and taking ultra compact towels and thin sleeping bag liners to sleep in, so no sleeping bags or bulky items will be being carried, besides clothes obviously.





im hoping to opt for something fairly small, and there are some nice 55 litre ones with freeflow backs, which id like due to the heat, but im concerned that these would be too small and would like people's opinions.





thanks :)Can anyone give me backpack size advice for central and south america?
From Cancun to Venezuela you're my hero I always wanted to do that but never had the courague to. I have only been up to Panama City and thats it. I would recommend a light back pack because it is very very hot in that area and I would not recommend sleeping bags or any sleep material because odds are you will stay in doors to sleep. If you ever end up sleeping out doors sleep in the plazas since they are safer or near a police station. Good luck on your journey I envy you. Take the lightest backpack possible.Can anyone give me backpack size advice for central and south america?
Go to REI. (rei.com) and look under their ultra-light backpacks for hiking and things such as that. I've never stayed at a hostel where I was not supplied with sheets by the way so I'm not sure if sleeping bag liners are necessary. I would pack ultra light and choose a backpack that is mid-sized (from your rear to just above your shoulders).
Oh my gosh! I am so jealous of your trip. That sounds awesome! I just spent several months backpacking around South America last year and within the first week I had already tossed a bunch of stuff out of my pack. I did the same thing when I went to Europe. Like a bunch of other people have said, definitely take as little as humanly possible on your trip. One thing that I always forget is that you can buy clothes and other items during your travels. I would suggest just taking one or two shirts and when you get sick of wearing them or when they get stained or ripped, just buy a new one. You should be able to find really cheap stuff down there. I would also suggest investing in a simple travel clothesline so that you can wash undergarments nightly and hang them up in your hostel room. Also, a bunch of hostels have laundry services or you can always find one it town. I suggest buying light clothing that dries quickly. You should only bring travel sized toiletries because you can always buy soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. while you're there. Since you're traveling with your girl, you guys could split up some things such as sunscreen, bug repellent, etc. so that you both don't have to carry it.





Other travelers will be SO jealous of you when they see you tossing your itsy-bitsy backpack on buses and happily walking a few blocks with your pack on your back instead of trudging along under its enormous weight. Have an amazing time!!!!!
Take one that will fit in Carryon on the Airplane.
i would recommend you take as small a rucksack as possible. for several reasons


1, it is easier to keep it closer to you, i.e on coaches, trains etc so there is less chance of theft


2, Anything you need when you get there, you will be able to find and probably quite cheaply. Clothes are very cheap.


3, You have to carry it with you alot, if it is too heavy it gets really annoying, especially if the weather is hot.





So i think you are right, 55lit res sounds right, possibly even smaller if you are also taking a small day sack as well.


When you come to packing, lay out everything you think you need, then take half of it.


Make sure you go with room in your bag to bring back all the stuff you will want to buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment